Custom Search

April 05, 2010

Been thinking ...

So I was doing some research yesterday on detox diets, and stumbled across an ancient Indian form of medicine and treatment called ayurveda. It focuses on balancing the mind and body through exercise, stretching, nutrition, etc. and it sounded very intriguing. There was a quiz you could take that determined the type (dosha) you are, and I'm pitta. Sounds anti-climactic, I know, but it describes me fairly well. So, in the spirit of trying some alternative medicine, I'm going to start loosely following the ayurvedic practices in the hopes of balancing my nutrition for a healthier me.

First off, there was a list of good and bad pitta foods, among them some I already enjoy: bananas, peaches, pears, apples, grapes. melon, etc. - those are balancing foods for me, and I should try to stay away from things that have a lot of acid. Beans are a good thing for me, as well as carrots, onions, potatoes, etc. Rice, oats and soy are great balancers, and all things that I really like. I'm going to try and stay away from sugar and red meat for awhile, though, simply because I feel like my body has become overloaded with toxins from preserved food. While this isn't an official "detox", I feel like it's worth a shot to feel healthier.

I've always been a fan of alternative and holistic approaches to medicine and nutrition, so this will be fun. It's going to require superhuman willpower, but just like I weaned off my love for soda, I'll eventually wean off my cravings for sugar.

Worth a shot, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment