Custom Search

September 05, 2010

Blueberry Hell

It took me a long time before I could stomach the thought of blueberries - years, in fact. But several years ago, when I moved to Maine I didn't know it was, like, the Blueberry Capital of the World ... or something like that. Blueberries everywhere. There was even a building shaped like a blueberry and painted a hideous purplish-blue - tourists loved the giant eyesore, but I was appalled. Anyway, everything was made with blueberries, and my husband-at-the-time, well - his family was in love with blueberries, so I ate a lot of them.

I'll admit, it's not a bad fruit when used in moderation. And when they're mixed in a delicious muffin sprinkled with crystallized sugar I'm a huge fan. I think I may have even eaten them in a berry parfait before. So while I'm not totally opposed to thinks of the blueberry nature, I am not keen on them being in yogurt, or other dairy products.

Sure, I love strawberry yogurt. I even like the yogurt that tastes like other foods - like cheesecake, pie, etc. - and I am generally opposed to foods tasting like other foods. So when I was at the store today looking at yogurt, I decided to try this Greek yogurt everyone is raving about. "Two times the protein!" "Beat the mid-day hunger blues!" I was all gung-ho for it, but for some reason unbeknownst to me, it's all blueberry flavored. Of all the flavors to lure people in to try their yogurt, blueberry was the best they could come up with? I couldn't find strawberry, or even plain vanilla. It was blueberry hell everywhere I looked. What's up with that?

I walked away with Yoplait Crunch strawberry cups, totally disillusioned over Greek yogurt. It may have ruined me for trying it ever again, even if I can find it in other, normal flavors. Sigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment